Sunday, December 14, 2014

Star Light Star Bright ornaments by Mad Mad me



I had to share this great simple pattern from Mad Mad me, via Moogly. This is truly a scrap-busting project. All those teeny odds and ends of yarn I can't seem to get rid of are now fancy little stars! Like, little bits I tried to make flowers out of, but didn't have enough. I used those.

The tutorial can be downloaded here: Star Light Star Bright.  It's easy to follow and super quick to work up.



I can't even tell you what yarns I used to make these. The white parts are a combination of Lion Brand Wool Ease in Wheat (the variegated one), Pound of Love, and a third thing I found a little ball of.


Shown left to right in Pound of Love, Wool Ease, and mystery ball.


The middles are all over the place, and aren't even all the same weight, though most fall into the worsted category. The variations in weight and texture of the yarn create slightly different sizes and effects in the finished project.

To finish these into ornaments, I had to do something about the backs. I don't mind them only having one pretty side, but I want the back to look finished, and mine looked like this:


*Shudder.* I could have done a better job of weaving in my ends, but I knew I wouldn't be satisfied with it, so I didn't bother. Instead, I cut some circles out of felt and used them to cover up some of the messiness and attach a ribbon to hang them at the same time. I used chalk to trace a small shot glass for the first one, then used it as a template for the rest. There is absolutely no reason to use black felt except that's what I had on hand and I refuse to enter a retail establishment until after New Year's.


Then it's hot glue time! I used a little dot to glue down the ribbon first. and then a swirl to secure the felt. I cut my ribbon into 8" lengths.



That's all it takes, and you've got yourself a homemade ornament!





No comments:

Post a Comment